The refrigerator is one of the most important household appliances. It’s the guardian of our food and therefore it must not only work well so that food is kept in good condition longer, but it also must be immaculate to prevent bacteria from contaminating what we store in it.
Thinking of these, we have developed a list of tips and tricks that will not only extend the life of this important device, but also help you keep it perfectly neat.
5 capital recommendations
Cold is better. Many brands suggest the ideal temperature at which the refrigerator should be kept; this information can be found in the appliance’s operating instructions manual. However, if you did not read them or you lost them, we can tell you that it is best to set it between 4 or 5 degrees Celsius.
Although new refrigerators have incorporated technology that allows each of its drawers to have the appropriate temperature for what is stored in them, experts say it is advisable to put a thermostat inside the appliance. This is especially helpful if you store cold food and drinks, as it will absorb the hot air that leaks when the door is opened.
Not too hot. It is important to remember not to put hot foods in the refrigerator.
Think first and open later. Many people open the refrigerator door to see or seek inspiration for what to cook. This is a serious mistake, because this action generates a loss of up to 7% of the cold temperature inside the device, which will cause unnecessary energy expenditure.
The right location. Oddly enough, the location of the refrigerator is important for its proper functioning. Not only should it be placed away from hot areas, but it’s also important to keep the unit 15 centimeters away from the wall wherever the device is located. This will allow the condenser to work properly. Also, make sure that the device is leveled. If it isn’t, the door will not close correctly and will cause condensation inside the appliance.
Cleaning and other considerations. Don’t just unplug the refrigerator when cleaning it. According to manufacturing brands, the ideal way to do this is to first turn off the temperature control and then unplugging the appliance. An important tip: when cleaning the refrigerator do not forget to dust the condenser. Though you might not believe it, dust hinders its operation.
5 magical tricks
• Remove rubs and stains by rubbing them with non-abrasive toothpaste. Grease spills can be cleaned with a solution of lemon juice and water.
• Avoid unpleasant odors by putting an open package of baking soda in your refrigerator.
• Defrosting the refrigerator once a month will not only keep ice at bay, but it will also keep bacteria from swarming in it.
• Store cut foods in closed plastic containers so they won’t contaminate those that have not been used yet
• A soft sponge and a solution of 2 tablespoons of baking soda dissolved in two cups of water will be enough to create the best detergent to clean your refrigerator. After applying it it’s advisable to rinse, then dry with paper towels.